With the microbrew revolution in Canada, selecting the best brews in the country is a tough task. Molson’s day of yore are long gone, and beer consumption is now spread across many specialized brands. Beer lovers are bound to have differing opinions about the best or most popular beers.
However, listening to Canadian mouths and wallets, you can get an idea of the most popular beers in 2015. According to VinePair, an online authority on matters of wine, beer, and liquor, Budweiser was Canada’s number one beer in 2015. What could have happened to the Canadian belief that Canadian brews are better than watery American beers?
On their part, the Canadian Brewing Awards named Scona Gold Kolsch from Alley Kat Brewing Co as the beer of the year. The following beers also won gold in their categories:
1. North American Style Lager: Islander Lager- Vancouver Island Brewery
2. North American Style Premium Lager: Western Pilsner- Great Western Brewing Co
3. European Style Lager: King Pilsner- Provincial Beverages of Canada
4. Amber Lager (North American Style): Old Flame Red- Old Flame Brewing Co
5. Dark Lager (North American Style): Hermann’s Dark Lager- Vancouver Island Brewery
6. Light Lager: Laker Light- Brick Brewing Co.
7. Bock: Captivator Doppelbock- Tree Brewing Co.
8. Porter: Charcoal Porter- Innocente Brewing Co.
9. Strong Porter: Continuity Baltic Porter- StoneHammer Brewing Co.
10. Cream Ale: Cream Ale- Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
11. German Style Kolsch: Scona Gold Kolsch- Alley Kat Brewing Co
12. Red Ale: Heroica Red Ale- Steamworks Brewing Co
13. Blonde/Golden Ale: Pale Ale- Moosehead Breweries
14. Brown Ale: Gahan Iron Bridge Brown- PEI Brewing Co.
15. Black Ale: Disruption Black IPA- Category 12 Brewing
16. Scotch Ale: Farnham Scotch Ale- Farnham Ale et Lager Inc.
17. Stout: Seven Summits Milk Stout- Rossland Beer Company
18. Imperial Stout: St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout- McAuslan Brewing Inc.
19. India Pale Ale: (English Style), Curmudgeon IPA- Grand River (American Style)
20. Maple Lager or Ale: Ambroise Maple Beer- McAuslan Brewing Inc.
21. Fruit Beer/Field Beer: Grapefruit Radler- Tree Brewing Co.
22. Gluten Free Beer: India Pale Ale- Brasseurs Sans Gluten
23. Experimental Beer: Dead Frog Nutty Uncle Peanut Butter Stout- Dead Frog Brewery
24. Session Ale: Recline Pale Ale- Cameron’s Brewing Co.
However, according to the beer aficionados at Beer Advocate, the following were Canada’s top-rated beers:
1. Péché Mortel- Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
2. La Fin Du Monde by Unibroue
3. Fat Tug IPA from Driftwood Brewery
4. Red Racer India Pale Ale- Central City Brewers and Distillers
5. Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique by Les Trois Mousquetaires
6. Sartori Harvest IPA- Driftwood Brewery
7. Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve- Unibroue
8. Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus- Microbrasserie Charlevoix
9. Trois Pistoles- Unibroue
10. Aphrodisiaque- Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
On matters brands, Beer Store lists the following as the ten most popular brands in their stores:
1. Coors Light
2. Molson Canadian
4. Bud Light
6. Carling Lager
7. Busch Lager
We hope your favorite beer got a mention. If it didn’t, continue trusting your palate but make a resolution to test other excellent flavors from coast to coast.
Photo Credit: Pixabay.com